Sunday, September 8, 2013

Star Trek & Random Geek Question: Favorite Heroine

Highlights of today.. I started editing the next Alien Nation Podcast. I really wanted to get it all done but I struggled with laziness. I think in the end laziness won out but I did manage to get about half of the editing done. I'll have to finished up tomorrow as it's due to be released the next day.

Today is Star Trek's 47th Anniversary. 47 years ago today this new science fiction program premiered on NBC and would forever change the geek culture. It only lasted 3 years but it would go on to spawn five more TV series (Animated, TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT) and 10 movies. It has now been rebooted and their have been two more movies with another on the horizon. Star Trek is a pop culture phenomenon and is showing no signs of slowing down or going away. Happy 47th Anniversary Star Trek... here's to 47 more years.

I asked another Random Geek Question on Facebook and Twitter.. Who is your favorite kick ass geek heroine and why? I got a great number of responses. As expected Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Ripley from the Alien movies were on the top of the list, but I did get a wide range of other names like River Tam and Zoe from Firefly, Gabriella from Xena, Wonder Woman and Starbuck from the new BSG. I got several Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series, got an Aeryn Sun from Farscape. Someone said all the women from Once Upon a Time and Willow from Buffy. I even got a few comic book characters like Kitty Pryde and Rogue from The X-Men.

As you can see there are quite a few kick ass heroine's out there. When I asked the question, the ladies that I thought of were of course Buffy but also Leeloo from Fifth Element and River Tam. Who is your favorite kick ass heroine?? Let me know in the comments below.

I spent four hours tonight on You Tube... I went to watch one thing and saw a link to another and then another and the next thing I knew it was midnight and I sat there watching videos for four hours.. talk about a time sucker.