Saturday, January 15, 2011

You are not alone.

I know a lot of people who have problems.

Who doesn't? We all have problems, only, some hide them better than others...

Should we hide our problems? Not at all. Our flaws, heartbreaks and problems are as much a part of us as our skills, passions and successes. You cannot have a solution without a problem, or a failure without a success. Yet our society doesn't like problems. We can't throw our hands up and say "I'm depressed" or "I'm anorexic" without someone assuming that you're weak or you're just doing it for attention.

Truth is, they're the brave ones. Admittedly, yes, 2% of all of those people who admit to their problems are just in it for the attention. Should we refuses to help the other 98% of those who do have problems just in case they are  merely attention seeking? No. If someone tells you that they are self harming, don't mutter "emo" or "They're only doing it for the attention" under your breath but treat it like it is, a condition that should be treated before it escalates into something much more serious. If someone tells you that they are anorexic, don't just stand there and tell them to wise up... Get. Them. Some. Help.

I just can't stress this enough. People are so self-obsessed these days, so selfish, that they won't even help their friends when they need them most. Well, they need you. You should listen to them. Sometimes it's just a stupid little fight with their boyfriend, or an argument with their Mum, other times, it's a drug addiction or suicidal thoughts. Just think, how guilty would you feel if something happened to them and you knew that you could have prevented it....

Doesn't bare thinking about, does it?

Who hasn't been in a roomful of people and felt all alone? Who hasn't smiled when all you want to do is break down and cry? Who hasn't been "involved" in a conversation when you haven't said a word? No-one. Everyone has smiled when they want to breakdown and cry. Everyone has been involved in a conversation where they have just sat there and listen. Everyone has been in a roomful of people and felt all alone. But...

You are not alone.

You may feel like you are the only one suffering in the world, you may feel like you are the only one who doesn't have a purpose, you may feel like you have no voice, no bravery, no talent but that's not true. Please don't let that voice in your head tell you otherwise.
There are over seven billion people in the world. That's seven billion faces that you will never meet. Seven billion voices that you will never hear. Seven billion problems that will not exist. To you. Those seven billion problems are very much there. Their pain is still very much real, despite you not being able to feel, hear or see it. You can't help anyone, but you can help yourselves. And you can help your loved ones.

As said, everyone has problems. Some people are just better at hiding them than others.

So, If you can help someone with a problem, please do. No matter how small, or insignificant it is, you are helping someone. And that's one of the most fulfilling things that you can do with your life.

Just remember... whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your problems may be...

You are not alone.