Monday, February 14, 2011

Christmas Doctor Who Style



Today my copy of the 2010 Doctor Who Christmas special A Christmas Carol arrived on Blu-ray ( along with the classic third Doctor story The Mutants on DVD ).

Now I've always said that the Christmas specials should pretty much be taken lightly, they are after all made to be broadcast at Christmas, not usually a time for intense television viewing but having re-watched the special again today I found myself disappointed once I'd reached the end.

There are some great ideas in this special but somehow it all fails to gel into a cohesive whole, I especially loved the new style Star Trek-ish bridge on the starship and all those lens flares just like the J.J. Abrams reboot of the Star Trek movie series.

I like Matt Smith as the Doctor, I really do but so far he hasn't been given the greatest of material to work with, with any luck perhaps this year the new Doctor Who production team will find their feet and deliver some strong stories instead of mearly average ones.