Friday, February 25, 2011

Catching Up

Over the course of the last 6 - 7 months I've watched a lot of movies, I always did watch a fair amount of films but thanks to the Podcast on Fire 365 movies in 365 Days challenge ( which I completed in around 6 months ) I really concentrated on movie watching, this didn't mean that was all I did but that is how I spent a lot of my spare time.

Now my movie watching has slowed down a lot and I've been concentrating on Television series and a couple of video games, most of what I've been watching in terms of Television series have been fairly old but I've really enjoyed them.



Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - I'm on to disc three of season one, I remember watching the show as a kid but I don't remember any black and white episodes so I don't know if I just never saw the first season or maybe I just forgot that they were in black and white.

What I've found interesting about this show is that a lot of the early episodes were fairly straight forward cold war stories, it didn't take too long for dinosaurs, aliens and mutant plankton monsters to start appearing in stories.



The Greatest American Hero - I loved this show in high school but I don't think I'd ever seen it since it's original Television broadcast in the early 80s, I saw the entire series on DVD going cheap a while back and grabbed it on a whim, it took me a while to get around to watching it as thinking about it afterwards I though it wouldn't have aged all that well and to an extent that's true but this show is still a lot of fun, the chemistry between the three lead actors is just great, I suspect you could have cast them in pretty much anything and it would've been worth watching.



Captain America - Another of my recent eBay purchases was a German DVD Box set featuring four 60's cartoons based the Marvel characters Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and The Sub-Mariner.

I watched the Captain America disc last night, the animation was extremely primitive and the stories were pretty corny but the show was a lot of fun.

I'm hoping to watch the other three DVDs sometime soon, with any luck they'll be just like this one.



X-Men: The Animated Series - A little while back I picked up a couple of compilation DVDs from this series cheap on ebay, yesterday I watched both The Legend of Wolverine and Wolverine's Story, as you might imagine with titles like that they feature stories that were heavily based around Wolverine.


I don't think I'd seen the show since it's original television broadcast but it was fun seeing it again, I think the entire series has been released on DVD, I think I'd like to pick it up one of these days and watch the entire series.



Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - Another childhood favorite, this was a show that never took itself too seriously, in fact in the camp stakes it gives the 60s Batman TV series a good run for it's money, I picked up the complete series box set a couple of years ago and I'd watch the occasional episode here and there, at least until this last week when I've gotten through 8 episodes so far with the intention of watching more sometime soon, this is cheesy fun and apparently that's just what I need at the moment.