Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Define yourself.

Popular.
Emo.
Jock.
Geek.
Idiot.
Slut.
Joker.
Stoner.
Goth.
Pretty.
Douche.


Labels.


It's all about the labels.


Or at least, it is in Secondary school/High School.


We are all so hypocritical, we're quick to label someone with one of these terms, but we detest it when the same is done to us.


I'd say that people see me as a geek. That's cool. I am a geek afterall, I get pretty good grades, I don't get into any trouble, I'm not a drinker, or a smoker, or a slut, I'm hardly drop dead gorgeous, I'm socially awkward... You get the point.


I can admit that I am a geek. I don't mind that. But sometimes, I wish that people would take the time to look under the surface. 


I'm basically a collage of labels. But people don't really register that. Let's face it, we're products on a shelf. Every single one of us.


What can you do for me? Why should I consider keeping you in my life? Are you disposable? Can I throw you away once you've done your purpose? Can I throw you away once I've had my fun? 


We're treated as products. And humanity is fairly selfish, so what happens if you're deemed to be a "product" that is only good for the bargain bucket at poundland?


Change. That.


Why can't you? It's your life. Hard work and dedication are the two things that ensure that anything can happen in this life. Can't play guitar? Go get lessons. Failed that test? Revise. Feeling like you're worthless? Mute that voice in your head. You're not.


Same goes with labels.


You have the right to rewrite the labels that society has handed to you. Be whoever you want to be. Don't let them hold you back. The greatest thing is that even if you can't change people's opinions of you, it doesn't matter. A label is just a label. It can peel off. It doesn't have anything to do with the product underneath, it's just a label.


You have the right to define yourself, be who you want to be, do what you want to do. Don't let fear or conformity get in the way of that.