Monday, March 28, 2011

Burke and Hare



I remember being slightly excited when I heard that John Landis was making a return to feature directing with Burke and Hare and then for some reason I forgot all about the movie so I was genuinely shocked to see it had been released on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK, I had to have it and the Blu-ray was ordered.

The movie arrived yesterday and the first chance I got I fired up the home theatre ready for some fun after all it was a John Landis movie featuring an impressive cast - well apart from Isla Fisher but even she wasn't as painful as I usually find her, she was just wooden instead or petrified.

I was only vaguely aware of the real Burke and Hare but I thought there was a lot of potential for dark comedy in this movie and there were flashes of that but for me this movie didn't entirely work and I'm not sure why, maybe it's just that I had unreasonably high expectations for the film based on it's director, I'd only recently re watched An American Werewolf in London and I still consider it to be a fantastic movie.

Now that Landis has returned to film hopefully he will also return to the quality levels he used to achieve, I have to admit it was nice seeing a movie that didn't have to cut to a different angle every 10 seconds, it's nice to actually be able to see what is going on in a movie.

I don't know that I'd recommend buying Burke and Hare but it's certainly worth seeing.