Tuesday, May 1, 2012

One Dollar Bill Origami

One morning I received an email from a friend who saw my interest in origami. The emailed contained pictures of one dollar bill origami! Waaaah. I have seen them before, and luckily there were some designs in my 2008 calendar. So, after work, I went to a bureau de exchange and exchanged £20 for US$31, (someone told me I was geeky for doing that - "who would exchange £20 for $1 bills to do origmai!...." ¬_¬ meeee). 

I then attempted these ones.


This one dollar bill bunny was relatively easy to make.

$Bunny
The snail was quite hard. In the end I had to use a Youtube video to finish it.
$Snail

Ah, my attempted armadillo was hard to make!
$Armadillo 
Here's a shirt, which is supposed to be part of a pantsuit.
$Shirt
And here's an attempted elephant, (which is not in the calendar). I found the design for this online. ^^
$Elephant
With this next piece I attempted to create Won Park's $Koi Fish, but I think I got the pleating folds all wrong, so I ended up with this pretty $heart. ^^
$Heart leaning against the $Armadillo to keep it upright 
I've found using dollar bills very easy to use for origami because they are thick and stern, and they don't tear apart so easily! 
I won't be throwing these pieces away in case I ever get to the US and will probably tip restaurants and the like using these $1 bills. ^^

I have US$25 left, so hopefully I can do 25 more designs!


Here's a great website you can use: 

http://www.origami-resource-center.com/money-origami.html(A-H)
http://www.origami-resource-center.com/money.html (H-Z)
I'm not very good with pictures and diagrams, so I advise watching videos on Youtube and other video-sharing sites.

Good luck!