I’ve decided to share a few of these tips and tricks here in my blog:
1. Mouse shortcuts
- Shift key and mouse click-many programs allow you to highlight all or portions of text using the Shift key and the mouse. For example, place the cursor at the beginning of a paragraph, hold down the Shift key and click at the end of the paragraph to highlight the full paragraph.
- Click the Mouse wheel-The mouse wheel can also be used as a button. Just press down on the wheel.
- Ctrl + mouse wheel - Allows user to quickly Zoom in and Out on a web page, word document, excel spreadsheet, etc. by holding down the Ctrl key and scrolling up to zoom in and down to zoom out.
- Ctrl key and mouse click - allows user to highlight while holding down the Ctrl key you can left-click to select multiple objects or highlight multiple sections of text. For example, in Microsoft Windows you could hold down the Ctrl key and click to select multiple files at once. If you wanted to highlight different parts of a paragraph or web page, you could also hold down the Ctrl key and select each section you wanted to copy.
- Reposition or re size window- Double-click the top title bar of any window to maximize a window or if it is already maximized re size it to a window. You can also double-click the icon for the window in the top-left corner of the window to close that window.
- Alt + E Edit options in current program
- Alt + F File menu options in current program.
- Alt + Printscreen screen capture of active window only
- Ctrl + A Select all text.
- Ctrl + C Copy selected item.
- Ctrl + End Goes to end of document.
- Ctrl + Home Goes to beginning of document.
- Ctrl + Insert Copy selected item
- Ctrl + Left arrow Moves one word to the left at a time.
- Ctrl + Right arrow Moves one word to the right at a time.
- Ctrl + V Paste
- Ctrl + X Cut selected item.
- Ctrl+Z undo (my favorite!)
- Ctrl+F Find (in document or web browsers) Note: in Email this shortcut will forward the emails.
- End Goes to end of current line.
- F1 Universal Help in 90% of Windows programs.
- F5 Refresh in Internet browsers, and windows folders
- Home Goes to beginning of current line.
- Print Screen Captures screen(s)
- Shift + Delete Cut selected item.
- Shift + End Highlights from current position to end of line.
- Shift + Home Highlights from current position to beginning of line.
- Shift + Insert Paste
- Shift+ Tab Moves back on fill-in stead of forward
- Windows Key +D Minimize all active windows and show desktop
- Web addresses- You don't need the http:// portion of a web page
- Quickly move between the fields of a web page if you're filling out an online form you can quickly move between each of the fields by pressing the Tab key or Shift + Tab to move back a field.
- Quickly select data from large dropdown lists If you have a drop-down box that lists every country or every state you can click that box and then press the letter of the state or country you're looking for. For example, is a drop-down box of States in the United States you could press C on the keyboard to scroll quickly to California, type C again and move quickly to Conneticut
- Clicking the sites Logo- this ususally takes you to the home page
- Narrow down Internet Searches-If you're not finding what you want when searching the internet try surrounding the text in quotes.
- Try altnernative browers- there are other internet browers out there.
- Google Chrome
- Sort news feeds- by default Facebook will display feeds in news format which means those posts considered most relevent. These results are based on your interactions with friends. If you want to see all posts made by friends click 'most recent'
- Hide users, games, poll etc.- tired of seeing users annoying posts, game invites, polls etc... hover your mouse to the right of hte post and click the 'hide' button. Facebook will prompt you to confirm to hide that user, or particular applicaiton. To unhide osmeone or unblock an applicaiton click edit options in the bottom right corner of the news feeds.
- Update Privacy settings- this is particular important if you are facebook friends with your mom, grandma, co workers or boss. You may have content that they do not need to see... click 'Account' in the top right corner of the fb window and click privacy settings to adjust profile permissions.
What are your favorite basics-that-you-thought-everyone-knew?
P.s The best way to learn these tips is to use them.... so get on it!