Friday, May 25, 2012

A Weekend Trip to Edinburgh - Day 2

Day 2 - *YAWN*... (-__-)zz

After a long night my friend and I woke up and went out for breakfast. We walked along Haymarket Terrace and came across a little coffee shop called Sandwich Culture. 

Forgot to take a pic in the day - Closes early on a Saturday! 
View from the window seat - just to point out (and if you look closely) there is a reflection of a building, which I thought was in the sky ¬_¬
We both ordered a Breakfast Box (£3.90), and it was great! Especially the brown bread baguette because it was soft and chewy. The bacon wasn't salty, the eggs and beans were just right, and the sausage was juicy. Yummy! I recommend this place if you are staying near Haymarket.
Breakfast Box - Thumbs up (^_^)b


After breakfast, we got on one of the local buses to Edinburgh Zoo (they call it Zoo only). A day pass costs £3.50. It is worth it if you decide to take a long bus trip (which was what we decided to do later that day).
A bus stop along Haymarket Terrace - not the one we wanted 
The zoo is about 4 stops from where we were. Unlike the London buses, these ones are long but they only have one entrance. Purchasing a ticket on the bus was like being on a Hong Kong bus with their coin slot machine! :D Also be careful and count the number of stops because the buses don't have a charming lady saying which stop is next.

Once we got to the zoo, we saw a lot of MASSIVE animals and for a short period of time we got to see the pandas! (More about the Zoo in another post).

Outside Edinburgh Zoo

We took another bus back towards Princes Street, and decided to stay on the bus for a little longer. I took some pics when we got off.
On a street in Edinburgh

Our next trip was to Whetherspoons. One of the biggest ones I've been to! There were a lot of football fans (and I wish I took a pic of them)! I tried a Scottish ale (Flying Scotsman) and it was great! It almost tastes like a Chinese beer :D We then ended up in another Whetherspoons (it was so busy in the other one - and there was no where to sit!). And what did we end up eating...? Haggis!!
Haggis in Whetherspoons! ^_^

I liked it, Miss Pinky didn't. I guess the Chinese will try anything foodwise! :D I ended up adding a bit of ketchup and it still tasted good to me! Reminded me of my parents cooking fried mince meat.

We ended up shopping for a bit, and came across this place... Friendly staff. Cheapish whiskey. And cheapish souvenirs!

Hector Russell along Princes Street

Afterwards, we ended up in another pub along Haymarket. I drank some of this Monkey Shoulder whiskey with coke (the barman recommended it), and it really tasted good!
Found this in The Whiskey Shop in
Princess Mall near Waverley Station

By the time we went back to the hotel it was too late to order food (actually we were so tired and couldn't be bothered ¬_¬)...
Along Eglinton Crescent - just before the hotel
So we ended up going out again and eating Indian takeaway!
Chicken Biryani
Both Miss Pinky and I prepared for night 2! (There was some noise, but we both managed to get some sleep!).

End of Day 2.