Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Hunger Games (eBook Version) - My Review

WOW!! I haven't read a futuristic fantasy book like this for ages!! After reading Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, this is by far one of the best books to have been written... I have tried reading the Twilight saga, and have only read the first book. It's ok. Not the best of books.

So, The Hunger Games. I read it within a week using the Kobo app for Android. I think I could've read it in within days if I didn't have to work. I haven't seen the film yet and so at first, I thought the story would be a bloodbath story like the Japanese film Battle Royale. But it isn't. It's a cross between Battle Royale, Big Brother and I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here.


I found the story quite easy to follow and very fast paced like Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. It's a story about the world's controversial issues of poverty and survival whilst in combat as well as some "romantic" concepts in able to survive and to captivate the audience.


The story itself is set in the future and is based on twelve districts, originally there were thirteen, that surround the Capitol. These districts once rebelled against the Capitol but they had more power and overcame the rebellion. In order to teach the districts a lesson, every year they hold a game "The Hunger Games" where two youngsters (children / teenagers) - one boy and one girl from each district is held in a centre. There must be only one winner, so each competitor must kill another to survive and hopefully win.


Katniss the main character of the book shows what it is like to live in poverty. With her father who died in an explosion she was the one to help and support her family (mother and sister) by hunting, gathering and trading throughout her teens. Her sister was chosen during the name-picking but Katniss chose to volunteer in place of her sister. Katniss must enter The Hunger Games not knowing what to expect or what environment she'll be in - but she must survive and win the games!


The Hunger Games is an epic story. At one point I did cry because it became so emotional like watching a Korean drama.


It is a very good story, and I recommend it to children, teenagers and adults.


I found the cheapest of cheap eBook version on Kobo (costing only £3.59) - so I recommend using Kobo too!


Ah looks like there's a further discount from Kobo!