Sunday, May 6, 2012

Geeky Bento Box Lunches

I have grown to love all things Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese - anything goes I guess). (^_^)v 

I have been a fan of bento style lunches for a little while now. Assuming you all know what bento lunches are, if not, they are just Japanese style lunch boxes of leftover food from your dinner etc. But sometimes I start mine from scratch.

My craze for bento started off from watching a few mangas and Japanese school dramas and then seeing them on Hong Kong dramas... Hahahahaha... Geek!!! Anyway, a friend of mine from China had a pretty neat lunch box with 3 compartments - and I wanted one for myself! So I searched high and low for something similar - but only found small bento boxes, or ones without compartments but eventually I found one in London's Japan Centre (but now broken and thrown away) and one in Hong Kong, which I knew I would use for a while ^^. Now, I have loads of lunch boxes (not intentional of course!). Some I have had to give away (they were too small) or thrown away (because they got broken after many uses!).


Well, I think it's about time I show you some recent bento lunches I have made this year (not many here since I've been a bit lazy and doing all of that crazy studying!).


Some of these pictures were taken using my phone, so here's a fishy salad to start off with in two different lunchboxes...

Fried Salmon and Salad (cucumber, radish, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, cheese and a mustard and vinegar dressing)... My friend who is now in China taught me the salad dressing, and the little bottle was brought from jbox.com... ^^

Chinese style food...
Stir fried beef and green bell peppers with noodles in black bean sauce... This is making me hungry!!
Yummy pasta salad in the lunchbox I bought from Hong Kong!! You can find a box similar to this in MUJI at the moment.
Tuna pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, olive bought from Cyprus and home made pickled cucumber ^^
Here I used crustless bread for these sandwiches (I don't like crust). And usually I leave the skin on my tangerines, but the skin easily came off on these ones...
Ham and mayonnaise sandwiches with olives, crinkle cut gherkins, cherry tomatoes and peeled tangerine segments
Now I'm going to show off my culinary skills, (plus the use of my Olympus EPL-1 which gives these nice shots)...
Tuna sushi rolls, radishes cut into flowers, cherry tomatoes, gherkins and some home-made spicy pickled cucumber ^^
And here I made another 2 for some friends. The one of the left is in a re-usable takeaway container. The black bento box I got from MUJI, which they don't sell anymore.
Loads of sushi!
After making these, I ate the leftovers, yum yum!!^^

I will make some more bento style lunches in the future, so watch out for more posts of these!! ^^


Here's a couple of websites you may want to read which are dedicated to bento lunches:

http://justbento.com/
http://www.aibento.net/