Sunday, May 12, 2013

Tate Modern - London Southbank

Last Monday was Early May Bank Holiday, and so what do people do on a bank holiday. Some go out, some work (and get the 1 and a half or double pay) or some people just stay home... For me, I was going to stay home and do some spring cleaning. But that didn't happen (and still hasn't ¬,¬"). I was invited by Miss Pinky's little brother Master H to go to the Tate Modern for his school project the night before. I have been pass Tate Modern many times, but never went in. You see, it's sometimes good to have a younger sibling... Unfortunately, on the day, Master H didn't come with us. He got a better offer and went to Madame Tussaud's  So Miss Pinky and I went instead.

First off we stopped by Southbank Food Market to eat lunch. So we looked around the stalls before deciding to have some Caribbean food. Just to let you know the one at end (the red looking one) is very spicy, like Korean spicy food. I had the medium one, which was the one closer to me, and had it with Thai white rice.
Caribbean food
We sat upstairs where I knew there was a bench (from one egg hunting experience), as the bottom seating area was practically full!! That's how busy Southbank was that day. :D However that bench was already occupied by a family, and so we sat on the snake (you would know what I mean if you have been there)... After eating, we went to find a bin but we didn't want to go downstairs to throw our stuff away, and at that point, Miss Pinky spotted the American director Tim Burton and his wife Helena Bonham Carter who were out with their children...! "Who?!" I said to Miss Pinky. "You know, Tim Burton that director, and Helen something" she said... Who?!! That went on for a few minutes, before it registered. Tim Burton was looking at us in his sunglasses probably thinking we were crazy! But stick a famous Chinese star in front of me or someone who I adore like Benedict Cumberbatch, and I would be like WHERE?! Hahah. My friends also thought I was crazy... ¬,¬"" I don't seem to get star struck either! I have met a few Hong Kong stars in my lifetime and never gt star struck. I took a quick pic of them walking towards the bridge. People were stunned, shocked, gasping and amazed... But no-one bothered them as such.
Tim Burton, Helena Bonham Carter and their children
out on a sunny bank holiday! ... it is them by the way!!
Now onto the Tate Modern!! 


Before Tate Modern was created the building used to be a power station. And it was only made into an art gallery since the year 2000. And I've said this is the first time I have been it!
Tate Museum
There are 3 free galleries on each floor and there are a few you would need to pay for. Miss Pinky and I went into all the free ones!!

I can't seem to remember which floor these were taken on!
Two dead birds (not real) on the wall!

???

A Picasso painting!!

Something from WW2

A French painting

I like this one! Not too weird...

Cool artwork on the cafe wall!!
This one is not a painting. It's just me taking a picture of the outside from I think the second floor of Tate Modern. It's where the coffee shop is...
Lovely view from the balcony!

This is not my idea of art... Quite scary in fact!!


Very colourful

Not sure what this is!

Do you like to knit? I do!

Neon lights

I have no idea what this is supposed to be ¬,¬""

Que?

Lichtenstein Exhibition is one of those that you will need to pay to get in to see...
Outside the Lichtenstein Exhibition
I'm afraid contemporary / modern art is not my thing. I'm more into oil paintings and old stone sculptures or classic vase artwork than something that looks hideous and strange.

If you have a chance, have a look into Tate Modern. I think all art students would be most interested of this place.

Address: Bankside,  London SE1 9TG
Admission: free (except for some of the exhibitions)

Nearest station: Blackfriars Station