Friday, January 25, 2013

An admission


I feel like a terrible friend and I can't deal with that thought. Some people can acknowledge that they are a bad friend, and carry on with their lives, but I am not one of those people. 

Some of my dearest friends are going through terrible times right now. Whether this is due to mental health issues or heartbreaking circumstances... it doesn't matter. All I know is that my friends are hurting, and that I feel helpless to do anything about it.

So... This post is for you. For my friends that need to hear that there's someone out there that cares about them, and for the strangers that need to know that someone in the world still cares. This one is for you.

However bad you're feeling right now, I want you to acknowledge that this pain won't last forever. That life is like an airport, and this pain is just a terminal that you are stuck at for the present moment, before you fly far away, to greener pastures. Life gives you challenges, it poses you with battles that sometimes you feel are impossible to win, but believe me when I say that there is nothing that you can't handle. You can overcome and achieve anything that you want, but you need to be aware that you don't have to do it alone. 

If you ever need help, or advice, I am always here. No judgement, no fear. All I want to do is help you, and if you feel as though I can, then please, just come to me and tell me what's wrong. Even if it is only to vent. Even if it is only to cry. Tell me what you need, and I'll try to help in anyway that I can. Sometimes, people just need a shoulder to cry on, and there's no reason to be ashamed of that. Your soul knows how to fix itself, but your brain keeps getting in the way of its recovery. People have different ways of mourning. People have different experiences with mental health issues. No one way is correct, just as no one way is incorrect. Don't let anyone convince you that you need to do something a certain way to regain normality in your life. It doesn't work like that. 

Once you experience something overwhelmingly good or bad, your life is changed in some shape or form... Forever. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Change is good. Evolution is necessary. Learn from your mistakes, armed with the knowledge that life can and will get better, and that your loved ones are willing to prove this to you whenever you feel as though this will never be the case.

I suppose I'll end this with an apology. To all the friends that I have let down in life... To all the people who have sought my help only to be ignored, and to all the people that I have not been able to help at all... I am truly sorry. The last thing that I ever wanted to do was hurt you, or watch you carry on in pain. 

I promise to do better. You deserve that much, at least.