Saturday, December 15, 2012

Work Christmas Party at Cubana - London Waterloo

The Christmas parties have started for 2012! (Well for some people it was a week or two weeks ago!). 

Every year one of the teams I work with (I work for two teams in one organisation - it's complicated I know!) has a Christmas get together. And every year at least one person has a suggestion on where to go. This time we were going to Cubana in Waterloo, which is a Latin American restaurant.
Outside Cubana
Cubana has been around for a few years now, and I remember a couple years back Miss Pinky and I tried to go in there once but it was fully packed!! Well, at this Christmas party, it was again fully packed!! It is a popular venue for South Londoners and for those working around the area. Plus it's near Waterloo Station! Bonus point for that!! ^^

Close up of the wall painting
To be completely honest, I didn't know what to expect and so I read a few reviews on TripAdvisor and one blog. They were all mixed reviews which I shouldn't have read, and should have left it to my own experiences!

We all settled into the place quite early - as in, we settled with our drinks quite early. Some of my co-workers were in the neighbouring pub as they were VERY early! (And I even thought I was the first one there to arrive!!!). The place I would have to say is nice, however it is VERY small (that's why we drank outside). There are 3 areas for dining. One is at the back hidden away. The second one is next to the bar, which is where we were, and the other part is like a dance area. The bar area was heaving with people, and some were even drinking outside. I guess they never thought it would be very popular.
Nice wall gallery!

We think this is a dancing area - but was filled
with other people from another company
We got seated into 3 sets of tables around 8 pm and then we were asked whether we wanted to start the food - YES! Of course!! I was hungry. :P My co-worker made a reservation for the Cubana Christmas Fiesta Menu which was £17 per head. (I think there were about 30 of us there!). So here's the food which the waitresses had to move around for each table so that everyone got a bit of everything.
Plantain Chips

Croquetas de boniato y chorizo - 
Organic chorizo and sweet potato croquettes

Platanos Fritos - fried plantain 

Pollo Criollo - chicken casserole

Ensalada fresca - salad

Someone mixed in the Chorizo into the rice!!
I forgot to take pictures of the black beans and the pork dish!
My small plate of food

I liked the chicken!!


I had 3 pina coladas ^_^ (plus a G&T earlier)

I had chocolate mousse ^^

Mr Bear's coconut flan

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce (there are other sauces available too)
I spoke to some of my co-workers after the party, and some were disappointed they didn't get some of the food! Plus their plates were too small for all the food. The restaurant is small. Chairs are a bit wobbly and the seating arrangement wasn't that great - These are their comments, not mine!! 

After all that eating and drinking the tables and chairs were cleared away by the waitresses..., and the real party started with a bit of dancing!! A few of my co-workers are great dancers by the way, and one or two were a bit excessive... But it was all a bit of fun. :D

I do recommend this place, but you should probably go at a less busy time!

My geeky rating: 4/5 (I liked the food, but the dining and drinking areas are very cramped)

Good points:
- I liked the food
- I think we had some good service (but I could see why some reviewers weren't happy... it gets really busy!)
- The drinks just kept coming (and thankfully I didn't need to pay... It must have been a lot of money though!)
- Good music (although a bit loud according to Mr Bear)

Bad points:
- Small space (need to rebuild the bar area... expand towards the car park!)
- Small plates
- Bad table arrangement

Address: Cubana, 48 Lower Marsh, London SE1 7RG
Tel: 0207 928 8778 (after 5 pm - 07582 879 389)

Website: www.cubana.co.uk (always make a reservation!)


View Larger Map