Saturday, December 22, 2012

Row House Totem Pole...

My first ever totem pole (half of one anyway). This took me longer than I thought it would. Might be quicker if I didn't use an Exacto knife to carve the entire thing. I want a nice wood carving set. I have no illusions it will improve my work but it is worth a shot. This has been a really fun project and I am learning tons by just trying new things. It is also fun trying to incorporate all the different cultural influences I have been looking up or thinking about. Hopefully it works and flows well and doesn't get to crazy.

I placed this next section on top of where it will eventually go (but have not glued it yet). It is sitting on top of the mine section and both of the ends have jagged rocks. By doing this I hope to give the viewer an idea of what I am trying to accomplish. I want all the Row Houses to be at least two teared. Feedback or questions are always welcome. Hope you enjoy.
Cheers,
John...





I am going to put a rounded door in the left portion of this section. I am going to pour the entire area and then carve the area where I will put the door. I want the boarder to be stone work and not wood in this case.