Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday with my BFF

After the awesome day we had yesterday we didn't want it to end so my buddy Robert crashed at my place last night so we could hang all day today.

I had planned to record some MASH 4077 podcasts this morning but one of my co-hosts had to cancel (so it kind of worked out for the better for us).

We got up, I made us some breakfast and then we jumped into our Holiday movie marathon. Robert watches these three movies every year and since he can't make it to my Christmas party (boo) we decided to celebrate "our" Christmas today. So our first movie of the day was A Christmas Story. This is a classic and one I normally watch on TV since it airs all the time during the holidays. For those who live under a rock and have never seen A Christmas Story here is a brief synopsis. Ralphie, a young boy growing up in the '40's, dreams of owning a Red Rider BB gun. He sets out to convince the world this is the perfect gift. But along the way, he runs into opposition from his parents, his teacher, and even good 'ol Santa Claus himself.

I wouldn't put this in my top 5 Christmas movie list but it's defiantly in the top 10 and a must see every year.  It's funny and ridiculous, it's heartfelt and over the top but it's such a good time. I give this movie a solid B +

After that we watched Christmas Vacation. I was happy to see that this was one of the movies Robert wanted to watch as I had never seen it before (I know how is that possible), but none the less it's true. I enjoyed Vacation and European Vacation so I was looking forward to this. Here's a brief synopsis. It's Christmas time and the Griswolds are preparing for a family seasonal celebration, but things never run smoothly for Clark, his wife Ellen and their two kids. Clark's continual bad luck is worsened by his obnoxious family guests, but he manages to keep going knowing that his Christmas bonus is due soon.

I really enjoyed this movie. I felt bad for Clark as he tries so hard to make this the perfect Christmas but things just never go his way. It was fun to see the very young Johnny Galecki who I know from Rosanne and currently as Leonard from The Big Bang Theory. This movie is the perfect Chevy Chase movie, lot's of slapstick but with heart. It does end on a happy note but this is a Christmas the Griswolds will not soon forget. I give this movie a solid B +

After Christmas Vacation we headed out to grab some lunch at Chili's and then stop by Walmart so I could pick up some pictures I had developed.

Once back home I asked Robert if he could help me cut my hair, and when I say cut my hair I mean save my head with the hair clippers. I can normally do it by myself but it's always hard to get the back hair trimmed. It's one thing I miss about having a partner. Anyways he did it and I now have a new do.

After that we watched our final Christmas movie for the day Die Hard. This is one of my all time favorite action movies but I wouldn't say it's a movie that I need to watch every Christmas. Here's brief synopsis if for some reason you don't know the movie. New York City Detective John McClane has just arrived in Los Angeles to spend Christmas with his wife. Unfortunately, it is not going to be a Merry Christmas for everyone. A group of terrorists, led by Hans Gruber is holding everyone in the Nakatomi Plaza building hostage. With no way of anyone getting in or out, it's up to McClane to stop them all. All 12!

As I said this is one of my favorite all time action movies. It's funny, action packed and tense. Not my typical Christmas movie but I love seeing it anytime of the year and it was a nice way to end our mini Christmas marathon. A perfect A for this movie.

I made some spaghetti for dinner and for dessert I broke into one of my boxes of Twinkies, as Robert hasn't had one in a while and each Twinkie is like gold and I'm only eating them and giving them to those worthy of it.. and Robert is so worthy of one of my Twinkies.

Next up Robert wanted to show me this new game he has been playing called XCom. So we fired up the Xbox and I watched and participate as we played for an hour. It's a fun game.

We went back to movie watching and decided to watch one of my screeners. We selected two Skyfall and This is 40 and ultimately decided to go with the comedy This is 40. Here's a synopsis of the movie. Debbie and Pete—a couple first seen in Knocked Up—continue to fight their way through their marriage. The growing financial troubles from Pete's new record label adds to the pressure.

I enjoyed this movie, it's a comedy/drama but from the commercials you'd never guess it's more drama then comedy. It's a look at two people kind of going through some midlife crisis at the same time. All the "usual" players are in it from the previous comedies like Knocked Up and I Love You Man. It's defiantly an adult movie. There is some crass humor which I normally don't enjoy but can take it here and there. I'm a huge fan of Paul Rudd and really enjoyed his performance even though I may not have agreed with some of his actions (Robert and I disagree on what he did). Over all an enjoyable movie for what it is. I'd give it a B-

After the movie Robert packed up his stuff and headed home. What a fantastic weekend, not only because of the things I did but because I got to spend it with one of my most favorite people in the world... love you buddy.