Sunday, December 16, 2012

Wahaca - London Covent Garden

So after the work party, I had 4 hours sleep, an 8-hour day at work, and about a half an hour to a 45 minute wait for Mr Games and my friends (who I haven't really gone out with for a very long time, calling them Mr Flirt, Miss Money and my new friend Mr Sensible), we ended up at Wahaca, a Mexican food joint for a small reunion and pre-Christmas meetup, as well as celebrating the end of the year. 

Apparently the name of the restaurant and the food derives from a region in Mexico called Oaxaca. I have never tried this place before, and I was very keen to try it out.
Wahaca Sign


Its full name


Their funky wall of leaflets and pictures ^^


Nice design!
This place isn't hard to find, it's in the backstreets of The Strand, but unfortunately there's construction work going on outside the building, so it was hard to take a picture of the outside.

Luckily we were a party of five as there was a table for six ready within a few minutes when we got there, otherwise I think we would have had to wait for a long time for the other diners to shove off! (Sorry for my rudeness). Thankfully I did some research on this place beforehand because I was keen to try out a burrito!! The food I found was quite similar to Cubana (the place I went to the night before). Here's the food and drinks (the non-exciting drinks I did not take a picture of i.e. water... ¬_¬).

Mr Sensible's food (he is a very sensible person who is training to be a teacher):

Pork Pibil Taco


Huitlacoche Quesadillas


Black Bean
Miss Money's food (she wants to be an accountant and is fully qualified to be one!):
Passion Fruit and Hibiscus Cooler


Tender, marinated chicken Taquito


Sweet Potato
Mr Flirt (don't need to explain why he's called that) didn't realise he ordered a majority of spicy food... so unfortunately he didn't enjoy it entirely! (He doesn't like spicy!):
A very small hot chocolate, Mr Flirt had water afterwards!

Grilled British Beef Taco


I think this is the Black Bean Tostada


MSC fish a la Pimienta - it has bones attached to it, so be careful when eating this!
Mr Games and also Miss Money had the beef burrito, which is what I had. And here's my food:
Tamarind Twist


Chicken Tinga Taco - it was spicy!


British Steak Burrito


Inside my burrito - really tasty and this is the only non-spicy one!!
And finally the desserts! We all shared around...
Hotcake and dulce de leche - Mr Flirt and Mr Sensible had this


Chocolate tres leches cake - Miss Money and Mr Games had this


I had the Salted Caramel Ice-Cream ^^
I enjoyed it so much and I would definitely go again to have a spicy burrito!

My geeky rating: 5/5 (that burrito filled me! (^_^)v).

Good points:
- Food came quick
- Great and friendly service
- Food was filling
- Desserts were ok - I liked that chocolate cake with the peanut butter ice cream (^_^)b

Bad points:
- Slightly cramped tables... and that was it really!

Address: Wahaca, 66 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4HG
Tel: 0207 240 1883

Website: www.wahaca.co.uk 
The link to the menu is at the bottom of the website but here it is if you can't find it! http://www.wahaca.co.uk/html/ASSETS/Downloads/Wahaca_menu.pdf