Sunday, November 18, 2012

An African Style "Surprise" Birthday Party

It was Miss Pinky's Aunt's 50th Birthday party yesterday. The party was supposed to be a surprise, but ended up not being a surprise... The aunt knows everything!! ¬_¬"" But before we went to the party, we prepared a lot of food... Well Miss Pinky and her mum prepared it all with jerk in the oven too, and then I was in charge of frying the plantain. (Note to Miss Pinky - I know how to fry things. Chinese people fry food all the time! Stop being so bossy!). Mrs Hen, my colleague and friend, fries plantain for me all the time, and so I know how it all goes. Mrs Hen always serves it with a spicy red peppery sauce for me. :D
Fry, fry, fry that plantain!
The party started off really slowly (I was the only non-African person there!), and thankfully I have been to a few African style parties before (by the way, Miss Pinky is Black African and she doesn't like really spicy food!). 
50th Party balloons

It's a 50th birthday party!
And so I ate two plates of food... This is my first plate...
Fried chicken, jerk chicken, plantain and jollof fried rice
PLUS macaroni cheese at the bottom ~~~

By the time I finished eating my second plate (salad, more macaroni cheese and sandwiches), more food was coming out!! Oh my god, I have just filled my stomach, and now they're bringing out more food! That's African style partying for you... (Chinese people do the same but in Chinese style of course d'oh ¬_¬").

I couldn't eat anymore after my second plate, but managed to have 2 fruit style kebabs and a very, very spicy meat kebab!! Phew. That was really spicy! (I also ate a couple of cakes towards the end of the party :D )...
Fruit kebab

Spicy meat kebab... Some HOTT stuff!

So much food!! ^_^
It started getting late and it was time to go home, and Miss Pinky decided to take a few drinks and food back home (that is typical African behaviour - they do not like to waste food and drink!!)... Had to start running for the last train home too (so breathless, humph). :( 
Waiting for the train home...
We finally got to London Bridge Station and then parted our ways both of us finding ourselves looking at drunken people and couples snogging each other at different bus-stops...! OMG. That's a typical London night out for you. ^^""

Another birthday party next week (guess whose)... Let's see how that one goes...