Saturday, December 11, 2010

10 000 BC




I haven't been overly impressed with any of Roland Emmerich's movies since Stargate, I guess as big dumb popcorn movies they do their job and all of his movies are a visual feast but I find they are very light on story for my taste and the same was mostly true of 10 000 BC but I did like it better than most of his recent output, in fact it reminded me of Stargate at several points during the film.

I picked this up for $5 new in a collectors tin with a film cell so I guess it wasn't well received or at least didn't sell all that well on DVD, ordinarily this is the type of movie I'd catch on TV rather than pay any money for but it was worth the price I paid.

Some of the location shooting done for the movie was rather pretty and it was nice to see some model work instead of just CG used for the special effects which makes a nice change from most recent movies.

Unlike most of Roland Emmerich's movies I could see myself watching 10 000 BC again at some point, it's by no means a great movie but is a decent one.