Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dreams and reality don't need to be conflicting ideas

It's been a while since I've written a 'serious' blog post, so I thought I'd come on here to talk about something that I've been thinking about quite frequently for the past few weeks now.

I've grown up surrounded by this idea that dreams aren't just the desires of a subconscious mind, only relevant between the time you go to sleep at night and the time you wake up the next morning, but rather something that your heart desires constantly. I've also grown up believing that you should always strive to give the heart what it desires. 

The earth is 4.5 billion years old. Humans rarely live to see 100 years old. You can deny that saying "life is short" all you want, but in relation to the world, really, we're just a speck in history. And specks we may be, but we're specks with the ability to alter the world. Alter an astronomical object that is older than life itself. Some of us will achieve more than others. Some will go on to find cures to a disease, saving millions of lives. Some will go on to create music that inspire a generation. Some will run multi-million dollar companies. And others will raise a family, support their friends and just generally be the best human being that they can possibly be. It doesn't matter whether you want to save lives or inspire people or become successful in a business or personal sense of the word, as long as you listen to your heart and do your very best to give it what it desires, that's all that matters.

I don't know if the world has become a more cynical place or if I've just grown up and realised that the world isn't the place that my loved ones told me it was, but it seems to me as though less and less people are trying to fulfill their dreams. Some people want to become actors, and have the potential to do so, but they've been beaten down by society so many times that they give up on their dream to find a 'safe' career. Others want to become doctors, but don't think they have the brains to do so, so they find something else that they think would be more suited to their skills. 

No-one said that chasing your dreams would be easy. It's kind of like getting into a race with Usain Bolt. There's no guarantees that you will win, and in fact, you're probably on the ropes from the offset. But to know that there's that small chance of glory, to know that you're staring in the eyes of all of your heart's desires... I mean, what does it matter if you tried and lost? At least your tried. You've got no regrets, which can't be said for the ones who said "Ehh, it's never going to happen. Why even bother?". A slim chance at fulfilling your dreams is still a chance. Take it. It'll probably require hardwork, long hours and dedication, but believe me, it will be worth it.

Dreams, for me at least, are the secret to the meaning of life. We're all lost souls trying to find some shred of meaning, some trace of an identity, so we can say "hey, I may not know where I'm headed, but at least I know who I am". We are not robots. We have no reason for existing other than to live. And to live without striving to achieve our fullest potential is no life at all. It is merely an existence. 

Grab every moment you can to live. Take every opportunity you can to make a mark on this world because you know as well as I do, life is too short to do anything else.