Sunday, May 29, 2011

Why can't we be happy all the time?

Wow. I’m so happy just now!


You know those days, where you just smile constantly, whether it’s on the inside or on the outside. Your thoughts are clouded with optimistic beliefs. You listen to happy songs and you bob your head along, grinning. You think about the future, you live in the present, the past stays there: In the past. 


It’s the way to live for sure!


So why don’t we all feel like this? Why don’t we feel like this all the time?


The constant pressure to conform, the feeling that we are not in control of our own life, knowing that so many judge us for who we look like rather than who we are.


We have been lied to.
We have been deceived.
We have been abandoned.
We feel upset sometimes, but we’ve been told to smile.
We feel angry sometimes, but we’ve been told to hold it in.
We dream sometimes, but we’ve been told to keep our feet on the ground.
We have been told time and again that we are not good enough, that we are too young, too old, too fat, too thin, too boring, too weird… 


I am here to tell you that this is normal. We’ve all felt like this, or been told this at one time or another in our lives, no matter what our background or social status is. 


I am also here to tell you that you shouldn’t have to feel like this.


You are beautiful and you are unique. People shouldn’t lie to you, or deceive you, or abandon you. You should be allowed to cry, or scream, or follow your dream if that is what you really want. You are good enough. You are not too young, or too old. You are not too fat, or too thin. You are not too boring, or too weird. You are you. And no-one else is allowed to define who you are other than… you.


Sometimes, we lose friends, we fall out with family, someone who means more to us than life itself dies, or life throws us a curve ball in general. And this knocks us to the ground. Sometimes, it feels as though nothing will help us overcome this hurdle. Sometimes, it feels as though there is nothing left in your life that is worth picking yourself up for. Sometimes… you just want to stay down.


I’ve felt like that. Believe me, I have. But the fact is, life gets better. You lose friends, you gain friends, you fall out with family, you make up with family, and sometimes the death of one person equates to the birth of a new you. A beautiful, new, positive “Carpe diem” attitude towards life and love springs out from the grief and suffering. 


Whilst putting on my socks yesterday morning, I had an epiphany (yes, you can have epiphanies when doing mundane tasks):


My life is the best it has been in such a long time.


I’ve made so many wonderful friends in my short seventeen years of existence. I have been so blessed to be born into the family that I fondly call my own. I have become an obsessed fan of one of the sweetest bands that have the nicest fan community I have ever heard of and to top it all off, opportunities keep falling in my lap.


I don’t know if there’s a higher being. Maybe there’s a God, or Gods. Maybe there’s such a thing as Guardian angels. Maybe the people you lose in this life help you in the next. Maybe there’s nothing but this (whatever 'this' is). If there is anything “out there”, then thank you so much. I don’t know why I deserve this life. But I’m truly thankful for it.


If you don’t like your life, then change it. But whatever you do, please don’t throw it away.