Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mimic: Director's Cut




I think it's fairly well known that Guillermo del Toro fought many battles with the studio systems while Mimic was in production and was ultimately unhappy with the theatrically released version of the film but despite that I've always been fond of the movie.

Now years later he has been able to release a Director's cut that was closer to his original vision for the film and I have to admit I'd been looking forward to seeing it but now that I have I've come away from the movie slightly disappointed because it really isn't all that different to the theatrically released version of the film and while the director's commentary was interesting Guillermo del Toro was obviously holding back on some things for legal reasons.

I guess this was an interesting version of the film but hardly essential viewing.