Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cupcake Decoration and Chocolate Making Class - Part 2

Here is part 2 of my experience. This posting is about the Cupcake Decoration class at The Peacock Bar in Clapham Junction.

Well, it's fair to say that decorating cupcakes using butter icing is not an easy job, especially if the icing is a bit too soft. I can't even remember what ingredients were used to create the icing (I think it was butter and icing only)! In this part of the class we stood around a different table which they had already laid out everything (the cupcakes, icing and cake making equipment). First off was to create an icing bag using a plastic icing bag and a metal tip. There were four different colours used (green, blue, pink and purple). 
The instructor showed us briefly how to create flowers and then we were off to try it on our own! Unfortunately some of the tips were too big to create the mini flowers that he showed us, so as you can see below, they aren't that great! :-(

In the end I started copying other people's designs. I think the people in the class were already experts in cupcake decoration and I didn't have a clue in what I was doing. All of us were to decorate eight cupcakes, but I ended up creating nine! Nevermind...
As we were decorating away, the instructor showed us how to a different type of icing to make designs... But none of us got to try in making our own designs unfortunately...
In the end, we were given a box each to add only six of our designed cupcakes and eat the other two (I thought the staff would bring our cupcakes over for us to eat, but I can't remember if they did so or not) - I didn't get to eat mine! Unfortunately, the holes were too big, and so the cupcakes kept sliding in and out the hole... and the icing kept coming coming off! How disappointing. Please note: If you plan to go to this class, make sure you bring a bag, because they didn't give us any!
At the end of the two classes, majority of the classmates were disappointed and felt they could have easily found videos to show how to do all of this. In my opinion, it was an okay experience. 

My Geeky Verdict:
I think if you are looking for something to do on the weekend, and you happen to stumble across a Groupon voucher for free, then it is definitely worth going to. 
By the way, I forgot to mention they have a "professional" photographer who will come and go to take snaps of you! So if you're camera shy don't go (or I think you can ask not to be photographed)!!

Cupcake Decoration Class rating: 2.5/5
My Geeky Summary:
Cupcake Decoration and Chocolate Making class with Champagne
Originally price = £79 (make sure you get a Groupon Voucher, cost is cheaper)


Length of class: 
1 and a 1/2 hours (approx.)

Website: 

Address:  
148 Falcon Road Clapham, London SW11 2LW

Nearest Railway Station: Clapham Junction

Notes: 
1. Bring your own apron and a bag for the cupcakes
2. Not a professional decorating class (so don't expect too much)
3. Various classes take place at the same time

View Larger Map