Friday, July 6, 2012

Technology and Traveling-- the good, the bad and the ugly.

Technology is great until it isn't. I'm not sure where I heard that phrase before but it couldn't ring more true for me personally right now. My husband and I just checked in for our flight on a PC at our hotel to print our boarding passes for our flight from Toronto into NYC. Even though we clicked check in both passenger and selected both passes to print, his pass printed but mine did not. We thought that maybe I had to sign in with my own ID but no luck. So now here I am without a boarding pass on my way to the airport and no iPhone tickets since its international.

Update:
We got to the airport to print our passes from the kiosk. Once I went through security I noticed that my pass was marked "SSSS"  my husband didn't have those same markings.  Of course I was randomly selected for extra screening.  My husband said SSSS stands for "Super Secret Security Scan" where of course I got hand wand-ed twice, I went through the new high power scanner, and got patted down twice by two different women.   The positive side I got through security much quicker than my husband.

Update 2:
On the way home going JFK to LAX we were able to use the iPhone passes which was nice, but unfortunately we had to go through the same security scanners.  There was no warning or alternative option it was just there.  I recently read an article that says studies are still trying to verify if they are safe.  That's twice in one trip for me...so I really hope they are safe.

All in all I really do think technology is great even when it may violate us or frustrate us. It is great because it empowers us.  It also allow us to explore and capture life and share our adventures and memories with others.

What are some of your adventures with technology and traveling?