Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rock of Ages - Film versus Theatre

Yay! So after "partying" in Rotherhithe, eating Japanese food and shopping around I went to see Rock of Ages the musical! ^_^ I had no idea what this was all about until I watched the film (which I was thought was great and had very good moments!). And then four weeks later I watched the theatre version with Miss Pinky and my brother (Mr Loud)! 
Outside the Shaftesbury Theatre

Close up of the poster

So it's quite obvious for you to think that the theatre version would be the better version of the two, and it definitely was! O-M-G! 

Well, in comparison to the film, the theatre version was fast paced, a little more for the adults and it had excellent music! It was a lot funnier than the film and very interactive with the audience ^_^ ... I enjoyed it so much and by far this is the most enjoyable musical I have ever been to! (^_^)b


The film had a lot of script (dialogue), an extended plot, some extra songs to it, a few more characters (like the mayor's wife) and some characters who were removed entirely from the film (the German's)... But they kept to most of the love scenes, which was slightly altered in the film. I think the best parts of the film were the songs, and the plot was slow for you to take it all in.


The best parts of the theatre version were the narrative parts from the character Lonny (played by Simon Lipkin)! This character was the best one of all (in my opinion) - he was funny, very, very funny!  But all in all, ALL the characters were fantastic!

Inside the theatre - Grand Circle view... Really good seat!!

Framed poster

My favourite song of all was The Final Countdown which was originally sang by the Swedish band Europe. Unfortunately this song wasn't in the film. :( The best film song was Don't Stop Believin' originally sang by an American band Journey (this song was also in the theatre version).


My geeky ratings:

Film: 4/5 - funny but not as good as the live version!
Theatre: 5/5 - excellent live music and so funny

p.s. Sorry for lack of film poster pictures... I will try and take one if I go near a cinema in the next few weeks!

Here's the theatre trailer...

And here's the film one...

Which one do you think is the best version???