Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's Got a Death Curse ( Friday the 13th )



After the horrid weather of the last few days I haven't really felt like doing much outside so I watched the two disc special edition version of Friday the 13th this afternoon and I was pretty impressed, it seems for this release they've used a better quality print to master the DVD from, while there was some dirt and mild scratching this was the best looking version of the movie I've seen, most of the special features on disc 2 aren't really all that special since they often repeat the same information but the brief feature showing how Tom Savini achieved various make up effects was fun.

The movie itself was clear ( almost crystal ) and the colors really stood out in some of the outdoor scenes, the audio was nothing special but the DVD does feature Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Stereo soundtracks.

I know the movie has been released on Blu-ray, given it's low budget origins I'd wondered if there could be any real benefit in a high definition release of this movie but based on the DVD I saw today it just might be worth checking out.