Sunday, July 18, 2010

Movies on a Rainy Afternoon

Today was another day of crappy weather so I wound up watching a few DVDs that had been sitting in my unwatched pile for a while.

Prom Night


My daughter bought this on DVD for us to watch a while back, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but it was a routine and predictable teen horror.

Quarantine

I haven't seen the movie this was based on so I don't know how it compares, this was a great idea that was poorly executed, I didn't find it as annoying as a lot of the movies where the camera operator is a participant in the story such as Cloverfield or Diary of the Dead but there was no sense of suspense whatever and that was a shame because the whole movie just seems like a wasted opportunity, there was a nice stunt at one point but that was the only clever thing about the movie.

Gattaca

I hadn't seen this movie since it was in the theatres, I really enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it again today, it just goes to show you don't need massive budgets and insane special effects to make a good science fiction movie.

The Last Castle

I've had this on DVD for a couple of years but I just never got around to watching it until today, I really liked it.