Monday, September 27, 2010

Some Australian Movies

I've watched a few Australian movies over the last couple of days.


Chopper
I'd never seen it before, before he got into movies Eric Bana was a second rate comedian on Australian TV and despite all the accolades I just couldn't imagine he'd be a halfway decent dramatic actor - turns out I might have been wrong.

The big disappointment of this movie is that it was obviously a small part of a larger story and just when it was getting interesting the movie ended.

Useless piece of trivia: my wife used to be a community nurse and for a while many years ago and Mark Read's father was one of her patients / clients.


A Man's Gotta Do

The story of a fisherman and part time gang enforcer who struggles to understand and relate to his wife and daughter, I liked the idea behind this movie more than the actual movie.


The Adventures of Barry McKenzie
I have to say up front that I don't like either Barry Crocker or Barry Humphries so a movie starring both of them and co-written by Barry Humphries had zero appeal to me however the clips used in the documentary Not Quite Hollywood looked mildly amusing and that's what it was, very mildly amusing.